August Safety Tip: Extra Riders are a Hazard
Aug 01, 2019
Whether you’re operating a tractor, combine, ATV or other equipment, it can be tempting to let an extra person ride along. However, allowing an extra rider on a machine designed to transport only one person is a huge safety hazard.
Many think an extra rider is harmless, but it is important that you realize the safety hazards of this practice. At Sunrise Cooperative Inc, we do not allow extra riders on machinery designated for one person, so familiarize yourself with the risks involved and the alternative solutions.
Hazards of Extra Riders
- The operator may not be able to see his or her surroundings as easily.
- Access to crucial operating levers or controls on the equipment may be obstructed.
- The operator could become distracted by the rider’s presence.
- There is increased risk of the extra rider being thrown from the equipment because they lack protection from safety belts and rollover features.
- An enclosed cab does not mean the extra rider is protected. In an overturn, this will not protect the extra passenger from harm. Also, the cab door could open accidentally if someone bumps the latch or the lock malfunctions and the extra rider could easily fall.
- If an extra rider falls from the equipment, he/she could be crushed or pinned by the machine, and face extremely serious injury or death.
- If the extra rider is outside the cab, he/she is being exposed to potentially harmful dust, noise and chemicals.
- It increases the risk of a multiple-injury accident.
- Use a car or truck to transport co-workers to remote work areas.
- Make sure you have safe transportation back from the remote area at the end of the day so you are not tempted to catch a ride as an extra passenger on equipment.
- Plan your work assignments in advance so you can secure safe transportation to and from the location.
- The only safe seats are those constructed by the manufacturer. Do not use makeshift seats on equipment. Just because the extra rider is sitting does not mean he or she is safe from harm.
- Even if the equipment has a training seat, only in-training workers should use it.
- Familiarize yourself with Sunrise Cooperative Inc’s extra rider policy. It is strictly enforced, so set a good example for one another!